TSSU CELEBRATES 40 YEARS
In 2018, TSSU celebrates 40 years of certification! We were first certified as a union in 1978, and we have been an independent, feminist, non-hierarchical, and directly democratic organization ever since.
To celebrate our history and continue to build on the work of all members past and present, we are organizing a celebratory weekend on December 7th & 8th, 2018. Please join us to help celebrate!
To learn more about our history, see here: http://www.tssu.ca/about/
40th ANNIVERSARY EVENTS
We want this event to be scent-free. But we can’t guarantee complete safety for people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, asthma and allergies in these venues. However, we do need you, the audience, to make sure this event is at least scent-reduced.
We do not want anyone in the room to wear any scented personal products or any clothes carrying residual scents from detergent, smoke, etc.. Scent-free soap will be provided in the bathrooms and a coat rack will be provided for outdoor clothing upon entry. For more information, please visit http://www.brownstargirl.org/blog/fragrance-free-femme-of-colour-realness-draft-15
How you can be scent-reduced:
1. Before this event, make sure you wash with scent-free body/hand soap and use scent-free hair products. This means no body/face products with essential oils, or that list fragrance, parfum/perfume, or natural scents in their ingredients. If you use nail polish, keep in mind that it takes a day or two to stop emitting odours, so make sure to apply it a couple days beforehand 🙂
2. At this event, don’t wear any perfume, cologne, or essential oils. Make sure your makeup and body products are scent-free as described above. Your clothes should also be washed in scent-free detergent, and with scent-free dryer sheets. Please also come in clothes you have not smoked cigarettes or pot in (or wash them first!), and refrain from smoking on the way to the event or at the event. This helps keep our members with severe allergies to weed or tobacco smoke safe.
3. For this event, know that you will be asked to leave if you show up scented, as your use of fragrances compromises the safety and well being of others in attendance.
Friday, December 7th, 7:00pm – 10:00pm
TRIVIA & SOCIAL
SFU Burnaby, Club Ilia
To kick off our events, we will be holding an evening social at Club Ilia on SFU Burnaby Campus. This event will feature a trivia competition as well as drinks and food on us! Please come join us to help kick off the weekend.
Trivia can be joined as either a team or as an individual, and will feature an assortment of fun prizes!
Saturday, December 8th, 10:00am – 5:00pm
TSSU 40TH ANNIVERSARY LABOUR SCHOOL
SFU Harbour Centre, Joseph & Rosalie Segal Room
Saturday will begin with a TSSU Labour School – a day of panels and workshops discussing TSSU’s history, BC’s labour movement, and the work of being an activist today.
Confirmed panels and workshops include:
- Panel: Labour in the Neoliberal University
- Panel: Milestones in AUCE 6/TSSU History
- Panel: Social Movement Unionism
- Workshop: Building the labour movement we want with Melissa Roth, Organizer at BCGEU
- Workshop: Oral History with BC Labour Heritage Centre
- Chinatown Gentrification Walking Tour with Chinatown Concern Group
Saturday, December 8th, 6:00pm – 11:00pm
TSSU 40TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY
Lost & Found Cafe, 33 W Hastings St., Vancouver
To wrap up our anniversary event we will be hosting a dinner & party at Lost & Found Cafe in downtown Vancouver. This evening will feature a delicious shared meal, drinks, labour songs, prizes, as well as games and activities!
All members past & present are welcome and will receive dinner & one free drink each. Active TSSU members can register here: https://tssu40thparty.eventbrite.ca
If you are a past TSSU member / collaborator and wish to attend, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
TSSU 40th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL COLLECTION
Thank you so much to those of you who shared your submissions for the special collection Equity, security, solidarity, action: Reflection and celebration of TSSU at 40. Unfortunately, due to fewer than anticipated submissions, we won’t be preparing a volume. However, we will be incorporating submissions into our gallery of TSSU past, present, and future, which will be displayed during the Labour School event on Saturday. Be sure to check it out!
TO GET INVOLVED
We need lots of help and volunteers to ensure this event is a success! From posters, to songwriting, to raffle tickets, if you are interested in getting involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org.