This year TSSU celebrates 40 years of worker protection! To kick off the celebration, the planning committee invites you to submit a logo design for a special TSSU 40th anniversary logo that addresses the themes of equity, security, solidarity, and action. One first-prize winner, selected by the membership, will have their logo featured on limited-edition TSSU swag as well as on all promotional materials leading up to the 40th anniversary celebration weekend, taking place December 7-8, 2018. The first-prize winner will also receive a $250 cash prize.
Interested in submitting a design? Please see the criteria below for complete details. The contest is open to all TSSU members in good standing; each member may submit only one (1) entry. *The deadline to submit your entry is 11:59 pm August 10, 2018.*
Additionally, to emphasize the member-driven nature of the Union, recognize members’ talents, and deconstruct and reconstruct the idea of ‘branding’, all logo submissions that meet the guidelines and whose designers provide consent will be featured in a variety of ways throughout the year: on the TSSU website, on TSSU promotional materials, and in a special display at the 40th anniversary celebration! All entrants will also receive complimentary drink tickets at the Saturday evening event on December 8 as well as a copy of the special volume Equity, Security, Solidarity, Action:Reflection and Celebration of TSSU at 40 (look for the call for submissions coming soon!)
TSSU 40th Anniversary Logo Contest Criteria
Celebrate 40 years of worker protection by designing a special 40th anniversary logo for your union! Throughout the year, upon the designer’s consent, logos will be showcased on the TSSU website, TSSU informational materials, and more. Additionally, eligible entries will be featured in a special display at the Saturday evening celebration during the 40th anniversary celebration weekend, December 7-8, 2018.
To be eligible to enter, you must:
● Be a TSSU member in good standing
● Submit your entry here (link opens a Google form) by 11:59 pm on August 10, 2018
Your logo entry must (see full details below):
● Address one or more of the following themes: Equity, security, solidarity, action
● Be submitted as a .pdf with the logo design centred on an 8.5”x11” page
● Be your own original work
First prize (1 prize awarded)
● $250 cash prize
● Your logo printed on limited-edition TSSU swag
● Your logo featured on 40th anniversary promotional materials and at celebration
● Plus prizes as described below for runners-up
Runners-up (all eligible entries)
All logo submissions meeting the guidelines and whose creators provide consent will:
● Be featured in a special display at the 40th anniversary celebration during
December 7-8, 2018
● Receive 2 (alcohol) or 3 (non-alcohol) drink tickets at the celebration on
Saturday, December 8
● Receive a copy of the special collection Equity, security, solidarity, action:
Reflection and celebration of TSSU at 40 (watch for the call for submissions,
Who can enter:
The contest is open to all TSSU members in good standing. You’re a member if you currently hold a TSSU appointment (TA, TM, Sessional Instructor, ELC/ITP Instructor), or have held a TSSU appointment in the past two semesters.
How to enter:
Submit your completed entry form and your logo design here (link opens a Google form) by Friday, August 10, 11:59 PM PST. For judging purposes, designs should be submitted as a .pdf file with the logo design centred on an 8.5” x 11” sheet. If you provide consent for the display of your logo or featuring of your logo, we’ll be in touch at the conclusion of the contest for a scalable file. Judging and voting will take place the following week with the winner announced via email by Friday, August 17, 2018.
1) Each member is allowed to submit only one (1) contest entry
2) All submissions must be received in their entirety by the posted contest end date
and time (Friday, August 10, 11:59 PM PST)
3) Do not include any identifying information in your file name, file properties, or
within the body of your logo
4) Logo designs containing material not in keeping with the objectives of the TSSU
(See TSSU By-Laws Section B) will not be considered and will not be included in
the logo display or featured on TSSU materials
5) Logo designs containing material that is discriminatory, racist, homophobic,
transphobic, offensive, anti-union, etc. will not be considered and will not be
included in the logo display or featured on TSSU materials
6) Any style of logo (e.g. abstract marks, emblems, letterforms, pictorials, etc.) is
7) Hand-drawn logo designs are welcome but must be scanned and submitted
digitally as a .pdf file.
The judging process will take one of the following forms depending on the number of
eligible entries received:
Process for greater than 5 entries:
1) Following the close of the contest period, the trustees will prepare submissions
for the judging panel by assigning each logo a number. Ordering of entries for
judging will be determined using a random number generator
2) Each entry will be judged by a panel of judges selected from the TSSU
membership and ratified at the July 18, 2018 General Membership meeting.
3) Each judge on the panel will judge each entry independently.
4) The entrant’s total score will be the sum of the judges’ individually-assigned
5) The five logos receiving the highest overall scores from the judges panel will then
be voted on by the membership via anonymous online ballot to determine first
Process for 5 or fewer entries:
1) Following the close of the contest period, the trustees will prepare submissions for the judging panel by assigning each logo a number. Ordering of entries for voting will be determined using a random number generator
2) The logos will then be voted on by the membership via anonymous online ballot to determine first prize.
Logos will be judged based on the following criteria. Each element will be judged on a 5-point scale, with 5 being the maximum number of points allocated to each category
and 1 the minimum.
1) Quality of design and artistry (e.g. use of colour, line, shape, texture, use of space, balance, overall composition, visual impact)
3) How well design addresses one or more of the following themes: Equity, security, solidarity, action
4) How well design communicates TSSU’s objectives:
(a) To bring about improvements in working conditions, fair wage standards and to assure uniform job classification with equal pay for work of equal value for all employees, regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, psychiatric or psychotherapeutic treatment, skin colour, race, religious or political beliefs, national origin, whether they are part-time or full-time workers, whether or not they are part-time or full-time students, and whether or not they have children and/or dependents.
(b) To encourage in every way possible the unionization of unorganized workers.
(c) To defend and extend full trade union rights to all workers.
(d) Within the community the union shall work for the establishment of political, social and sexual equality, for equal pay for work of equal value, for free accessible education facilities, for free accessible childcare facilities, for adequate and fully paid parental leave, for recreational and cultural development, for community health services, and for adequate and affordable housing. (TSSU By-Laws, Section B)