*Steward/Member Training: Monday, July 30, 4:30 – 8:30 pm, SUR 3240* (corrected room number)
To ensure that we are prepared for bargaining, we have planned a training session for stewards and rank-and-file members alike to get the tools they need to organize their departments.
Here is a draft agenda for the training:
(1) Ice Breaker (15 min)
(2) A brief introduction to TSSU’s structure (5 min)
(3) What are our goals? What is a steward? What is organizing? (35 min)
(4) Common problems in our Collective Agreement (35 min)
(5) Chart your workplace (15 min)
(6) Food Break! (Dinner provided, 30 min)
(7) Overview of last round of bargaining: what we won and what it took. (30
(8) Bargaining process and what we expect this round (30 min)
(9) Have an organizing conversation (or two!) (30 min)
(10) Debrief/Feedback/Next time! (15 min)
Plan to attend? Email your responses to the following to email@example.com
– Your name and department.
– Your level of knowledge of TSSU’s structure (eg. the different committees and how they function to serve members, the Executive structure, what a Collective Agreement is, etc.)
– If you think you can bring another steward or member.
– What do you know about the last round of bargaining? What do you want to know?
As you can see, parts of this are intended for you to begin charting your workplace and thus begin the process of organizing your department. As such, it is extremely important to ensure that at least two members (stewards or not) from your department will be attending the meeting. *If you do not know anyone else in your department who can attend, please let us know so we know where we need to go door-knocking.* We plan to door-knock the week of July 23 to recruit more participants. Help is always appreciated!